History of Philanthropy at MayersOver 60 years ago the community came together to build a hospital and countless have benefited from this legacy of generosity. Since then, the Mayers name has become synonymous with outstanding care and excellent facilities, made possible largely through ongoing community support. We are deeply grateful to everyone who has partnered with Mayers to provide such a treasure to the Intermountain communities of Northeastern California.
A vision for a new hospital is born...As the sole physician practicing in the area in the 1940s, Dr. Howard Mayers knew the value of having both basic and life-saving health care services close to home. He dreamed of having a hospital in the community so that patients would not need to leave the area for care. After Dr. Mayers died tragically in an automobile accident, part-time resident Bing Crosby joined forces with key community leaders to raise the funds necessary to realize Dr. Mayers' dream. In the mid-1950s, starting a legacy of philanthropy that the Mayers Healthcare Foundation continues today, Crosby produced and starred in two benefit shows with fellow celebrity Phil Harris. The shows attracted huge crowds and raised enough money to help finance the construction of the new hospital.
Anna & Roderick McArthur
With the funds raised from Crosby's benefits, and with most of the labor and materials donated by the community, the new 10-bed hospital was completed in 1956 on five acres of land halfway between Fall River Mills and McArthur. This parcel was donated by Anna McArthur, a member of one of the area's original homesteading families.
Today, Mayers Healthcare Foundation is proud to work alongside our donors, volunteers, physicians and employees, and our community to support Mayers Memorial Hospital District.